Friday, July 9, 2010

English/ Grammar

Throughout most of our homeschooling year we have used Easy Grammar. It has always worked and took up a minimum amount of time for each lesson. For some reason though, it just isn't working with my eleven year old. So while praying over what to do as I didn't want to buy a whole other curriculum set and begin all over again I came across my current theory.

You see, I've been reading A LOT on Charlotte Mason and her methods. In past years I've read a lot on other methods and curricula as well. I've came to the conclusion that we make grammar way harder than it has to be.

While in that frame of mind, I was searching via the web as to what I could do to get the last five of our children through English (grammar primarily) and have them coming out as capable adults, ready to take on whatever the Lord has in store for them. I ran across this website http://www.pathwayreaders.com/. This is a site that sells Pathway Readers. We have always used and loved Pathway Readers! So I was intrigued by their english curriculum. Then I noticed on their sidebar that they have the whole scope and sequence for the WHOLE curriculum. BINGO!

Here's my plan. I am going to use this list and go through step by step, utilizing books I already have such as this one. http://www.rodandstaffbooks.com/item/1-12931-3/ and pulling books from the library or info off the web as needed. It's a "free" simple plan and will get the job done to fulfill the goals set forth, Lord willing!

So beginning either today or next Tuesday(Monday is completely booked!) we begin this new system and see what we come up with. You know, sometimes we make things entirely too complicated. No wonder we run off from only one cylinder all the time! We're too spun out on the logistics of schooling and homemaking to take time to stop and see clearly a vision and goal for our families. It's part of the forest vs. trees phenomena. This is my challenge to all of us dear homeschooling moms. Make a clear vision for your children and seek how you can simplify to make those visions a reality. After all, without a vision you're walking around in a schooling wilderness for a long time when you could step right over into homeschooling promised land, without complaint. Simplicity and faith is key!
Happy Homeschooling!

1 comment:

Dionne said...

Amen!!!
Finding a workable Language Arts program was my biggest homeschool delima this summer. As I looked at several programs I kept thinking why are they making this so hard. So I decide to do almost what you are doing. I'm feel so much at peace with this decision.