Monday, October 31, 2011

Wow, What a Tiring Day!

I begin this entry under hesitation as I am intoxicatingly tired. Today was a very busy day. It seems like days ago when I visited our local produce stand and grocer to buy some supplies to make some chow-chow. It was actually just this morning. This is a type of relish made from leftovers of your summer harvest. We had tomatoes to take off the plants before the frost came. The only bad thing is, the tomatoes were green. I am saving the biggest ones to ripen inside but the small ones were in danger of waste if I didn't preserve them.

I am very blessed to have found a food processor at a yard sale Saturday morning. That saved me at least $20! It worked like a charm today, thankfully. We not only used it to chop the tomatoes, cabbage, onion and peppers for the chow-chow but we shredded additional cabbage for some chinese dumpling (pot stickers)and even more cabbage and carrots for coleslaw.

Brittany worked with me in the kitchen a lot of the day and that was a delight. She helped keep my mind off my grandmother having surgery for intestinal cancer. She and I both are amazed at how much work went in today!

So, now we have 19 pints of chow-chow for the year. I am glad that all jars sealed. I have no idea what the stuff will taste like as I lost my Mom's recipe and had to try one I know not much about. It seemed basic so hopefully the chow chow will be.... basically good. There's more green tomatoes but I think I'll just hope for the rest of those tomatoes to ripen indoors.

It's almost 11pm and it's past my bedtime. This is my story of the day I made chow-chow in 2011. Goodnight.

No comments: