Friday, June 1, 2012

New Way of Eating Part I

I wanted to hurry and type this post before I set off to canning. I hope you all are having a blessed day! Thank you to all that comment. It really means a lot to me, to be able to talk with you on here and not just at you. :D

Okay, so here is the post that's suppose to be quick but probably won't be. Being that we buy in bulk quartly instead of week/bi-weekly/monthly I have been able to keep track of what we truly consume. Some I estimated right on but a few things, not so much. The not so much is mainly in the department of sugar. I had bought 75 pounds of sugar to last us 3 months and can you believe we were out about two weeks early? I think we've bought at least three 5 pound bags since then. YIKES! Y'all, that's a lot of sugar. No wonder this chick is having candida problems.

So, my quest is to drastically cut down on sugar. I am not in false hope of deminishing this all together. This is reality for us. So I am wanting us to cut down to 5lb. a week/ 20lb. month/ 60 lb. per quarter. That's cutting it down by 40 %. With a few of us trying to cut the fat this should help. So here is my plan. For you really good people, don't laugh, 'kay? Be kind.

No Sugar Except:

1.  3/4-1 gallon of tea at supper (3/4 c.-1 cup sugar to make)
2. cereal once a week, most likely on Sunday morning
3. whenever we have pancakes, considering we have syrup with them.
4. when we have jelly/jam perhaps once a week.
5. dessert once a week. We'll keep powdered sugar and brown sugar on hand to make these as well.

Betty Crocker estimates 2 cups of sugar being 1 pound, on average. So I am thinking with all of the above exceptions we'll be at about 4-5 pounds a week. This right on target!

1 comment:

Winona said...

Susan, I am sure you can do it. I am diabetic, so basically have given up sugar. I keep it on hand for the hummingbirds. LOL I bought 8 pounds of sugar at Christmas time last year to make some goodies for the kids. I never did get that done. I still have at least 6 lbs of sugar left. Not saying I never eat anything with sugar, but since I also have a wheat intolerance, I no longer bake. Hang in there. You will feel better if you cut your sugar consumption. (grin)