Friday, April 21, 2006

Baked Beans


Here is the recipe that Elizabeth requested. Sometime I do add a wee bit more mustard to make it a bit more tangy.

Baked Beans
4 cans pork and beans
1/2 cup ketchup
1 T. mustard
1 cup brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste
1 small onion chopped
ground beef( I usually use 3/4 lb.)
bacon bits or crumbled bacon
Cook ground beef along with onion until meat is done and onion is tender. Drain off fat. Mix together meat/onion, beans, ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Pour into casserole dish and top with bacon bits or bacon. I use ***bacon bits a lot because it's faster and also the bits soften while cooking. Bake 350 degrees for 1 hour. A lot of times I will buy a big can of the pork and beans from Sam's and it's enough to make two dishes of baked beans. I then serve one and freeze the other for later use. *** I also use bacon bits in homemade pasta salad. Upon sitting the the refrigerator the bits soften as well.

No comments: