Wednesday, July 5, 2006

Choosing Good Books for Your Children


Someone asked on another blog how parents can pick good quality books for their children, especially if you have a big family and there are so many to choose from. Here is the answer I posted on her blog.
You can begin by talking with other homeschool moms that have the same convictions as you and see what they allow their children to read. Also, you will come to know some homeschool resources that hold the same standards as you and who you feel you can trust. Even with that said of course man can let you down but there are a few sources that I pretty well trust. Vision Forum is an excellent place to purchase reading material. Also, we like Timberdoodle, The Pearables and Christian Light Publications. All of these have seemed acceptable for our family. Now is a good time to build a library of good books before your children get old enough to read on their own. Then you will lean more into series of books. Although one book in a series may seem good and another book may ruin it. Not all homeschool distributors would I put my trust in. I have seen Cheaper by the Dozen sold by a few distributors and so I bought it under the impression that it was a good book. I was appalled by the content and couldn't believe it was suggested as a good book. Also, I have heard that Little Britches was suggested by some of the homeschooling community as well and it has curse words all thoughout. You have to be careful and get good at censoring what you children come in contact with .

No comments: