Wednesday, August 16, 2006


TOSPUBLISHER is holding a writing contest on the "whys" and "reasons" for homeschooling. I entered my writeup and here it is.
Origionally we began homeschooling because I knew that a few disagreeable things were happening in the public school setting and also I began to see it as a privilege to homeschool our own children. After all, time is short and did I really want my children spending half their lives away from me? That was eleven years when our oldest was three years old. As time went on I would hear people that were still sending their children to public school complain and tell what was happening there. I would think to myself, "how could you send your children to an institution that has such things going on?". My children are so precious and husband and I would do anything to keep them from harm. When there's a remote change of them getting hit with a car near the road we train them to stay away from the road. The same is with public school. Sending our children to public school is not an option even for high school. I don't want our children turning out like I see today's youth turning out due to peer pressure and the socialization that is promoted. People bring up the socialization issue with homeschooling. BINGO! This is exactly a good reason why we don't send them to public school, especially in those high school years. I think of school as for learning and not a social club. Even if we were to join a social club it would be with one of our own choosing and not one where anyone could attend especially if it was being paid with teh high cost of our children's safety or even their souls. And when people ask of socialization do they not care that public school promotes bad socialization? For us, healthy socialization has to do with the concept of including people of different ages and backgrounds all together in one healthy setting. Grouping people by age groups together in one room or building for half the year is not our family's idea of good socialization. Is this teaching your children how to deal with society? I have had several friends who have come to me with the homeschooling question on their hearts. Especially if they are christian I ask them what their goal is for their children. Most of the time it is answered that they want their children to become solid christians ready to serve in however way the Lord intends. I help them realize that the home enviroment is so much friendlier to nurturing that goal more so than any public school ever could. As parents we are able to be sensitive to our children's goals, talents, calling and burdens. We are able to help them fulfill all of those things. Are other teachers going to take the time out to make sure all of those things are accomplished to YOUR satisfaction? Is it even possible? Then if the parents are not strong christians and could really care less about what the Lord has in mind and I want to discourage them from public school I just tell them to read the newspaper! It seems all the time the public media reveals so many things going wrong in the public school setting or at least things that have stemmed from that setting. For us homeschooling is the only way to achieve all that the Lord commands and to walk in His word....to be the salt and light.

No comments: