Tuesday, November 1, 2005

Rising Early

She riseth also while it is yet night.... Proverbs 31:15

Boy, that can be a killer standard to live up to!!!!! I know for me it's taken a lot of discipline on my part to hold this as a steady reality. Especially with a husband who generously says, "sleep in-- you need your rest". In turn I say, "I don' t want to rest". What I actually mean is that it's something that I have to do because I know it betters myself, even if it is against my flesh. So what is to gain? I seem to like new beginnings. The beginning of a new day or a new week always seems so full of promise. It's a time to start over and do things better than the week before. There's another chance to get it right. It's also a time of worship in my heart. It's a time of praise to the Master for waking us up again and for the sun that I see rise and stream into our living room. It's a time to hear silence in a normally otherwise noisy house. It's a time of thinking and setting things in order for the day. It's a time to get myself right so in turn my children can get their attitudes right so we can all be cheerful and smile.
The end result of the number of waking hours in a day could be less but by my getting up early I still get more things done. I get twice as much done (so it seems) by getting up earlier than if I were to sleep until eight or so . Is this the Lord blessing my efforts? I like to think so and I thank Him. I don't like sleeping in at all. It feels good until I'm up. Not that it's wrong but that it's addictive. It's too easy to fall into that path again. It's like it would be if I were to light up a cigarette and say I am only going to smoke one. That would be very hard as I was a smoker for 13 years and inhaled secondhand smoke from birth. For me, the same holds true to sleeping in. It's hard to get the pattern right when it's been offset. I am in no way saying that sleeping late has such a great impact as smoking but it just an analogy.
Well, enough of this blog as I need to go to bed and get my rest. Have a wonderful day in His Light and for His purpose.

No comments: