Monday, July 5, 2010

Frugality Update






I do hope that you all had a blessed Fourth of July! We certainly did. :) Saturday evening I spent the day cleaning and then we went to church. What a blessed service~!
We ate supper there as well.

On Sunday we went to Sunday School, church service, my parent's house, then back to church~! On Saturday, besides our breakfast everything was free. We had leftovers for lunch and then of course ate at church. Then Sunday we had breakfast of cheese grits (all of. 75 cents worth!), ate at my parents and had leftovers that night. We did provide the buns for that night. I'd say that all our food yesterday was under $2.50, out of our pocket. God is so good.

While that was SO wonderful, here we are on Monday and back to reality. LOL
We had more shakes for breakfast but we got a good deal on milk. The milk was on quick sale as the date goes out tomorrow. So we paid $1.19 per gallon and bought two of them. Our breakfast this morning was about $1.75. Lunch of sandwiches and chips was about $3.00. We had homemade pizza tonight. I made one with the free bell pepper, some tomatoes from our garden and purple onion. Total for the pizzas is about $8.50. This is for 3 large pizzas. So today's total is about $14.00 including a gallon of tea to go with supper. Not too bad for a family of 9. :)

We have a few ways to keep the cost of pizza down. We buy our shredded cheese in bulk from Sam's Club. Currently their cheese is $10.32 for a 5 pound bag. I also buy our yeast in bulk there as well. You can freeze yeast and it lasts almost indefinitely. I make our own pizza sauce from tomato paste that I buy from Aldi. I reconstitute it and add in some spaghetti seasoning (bought from Sam's), garlic powder, salt, and a tad bit of sugar to cut the acidity. I mostly use bread flour bought in bulk from Sam's for the crust. Sometimes I mill some wheat to add in as well. Best of all, we have enough left over for lunch tomorrow! So while it did cost $8.50 to make, it covers two meals!

No comments: