Friday, September 17, 2010

Baking Day and 2 Week Menu

Happy Friday, Everyone! I trust that you all are having a great Friday so far. I for one am looking forward to it as we have no outside plans for tomorrow. :) That makes for a good day.

So yesterday we were able to get a lot of shopping done. Now today is baking day. I plan on baking 4 or so 12" loaves of whole wheat bread, 4 loaves of cinnamon raisin bread, oatmeal bars, oatmeal cookies, peanut butter cookies, and chocolate chip cookies. This will give us bread, four breakfasts and something for our sweet tooth.

Here's the menu for the last two weeks of the month.

Breakfast

~ each breakfast item is served two times each

breakfast burritos (seasoned rice, sausage,scrambled eggs in flour tortillas)
granola bars
eggs and potatoes (frozen tater tots or fries from freezer with scrambled eggs)
oatmeal or oatmeal bake
cinnamon bread (whole wheat with oatmeal)
banana smoothies
toast and jam

Lunch
meat and cheese sandwiches (2X)
hot dogs (2X)
bean and cheese quesadillas (2X)
leftover pizza (2X)
vegetable soup (2X)
spaghetti (2X)
tuna casserole (2X)

Supper
* salad served with most meals
crockpot roast, rice and gravy, peas, fried okra
roast soup (from leftover roast)
Bean with Bacon soup
pizza (2X)
salmon patties, rice and gravy, green beans
sweet and tangy meatballs with mashed potatoes and green beans
pintos beans, fried smoked sausage, potatoes, cornbread (2X)
vegetable soup
crockpot chili dogs, fries
crockpot cabbage patch stew
mac and cheese with fried smoked sausage, green beans
sandwiches and soup

Snacks

crackers topped with pepperoni, meat and cheese
cheese straws
pretzels
popcorn
saltines with peanut butter
Ritz type crackers with peanut butter
cookies
cake
graham crackers
carrots
apples
bananas
cornbread crumbled in milk
doughnuts made from fried pop biscuits, dipped in powdered sugar and cinnamon
watermelon
bread and pear jam

This is about it...at least for two weeks anyway. I am trying to come up with ways to use our stove less. It runs off gas and so I'd like to save on the gas bill. This is why I am trying to do most of our baking at once. I hope to use the crockpot and roaster pan a lot. Our hot air popcorn popper broke and so I was using the old fashioned crank popcorn popper. This can be costly over a gas or electric stove. I found a pretty good deal on microwave popcorn and so am looking at doing that until I run across another hot air popper. A blooper I had yesterday was when I plugged in the deep fryer when I mean to plug in the can opener, of which was already plugged in. The plastic lid melted into the deep fryer and the oil is wasted. This is the third time I've done this in 20 years. It's hard to teach this old mule sometimes. :)

No comments: