Wednesday, October 20, 2010

High School History

This is in answer to a question about high school history posted on a forum. I thought it'd be of benefit to share my answer here as well.

Our oldest, of which is in the 11th grade, is now in economics and government. She is reading the Uncle Eric series for this. Let me tell you, I never knew so much about the two until I read some of these books as well. They are so interesting and you learn so much!

For actual history, our oldest has a natural interest in it. She chooses books (nonfiction or historical fiction) about the era she's interested in and just reads! She's even read history textbooks for fun. To document some of what she's learned, we have had her to write papers. She enjoys that as well. Another thing we do is to have her to write and answer her own questions of what she's learned. Sounds too easy, right? Oh contrar'! It does help to reinforce what she read to have her to make up her own questions and answer them. If she didn't comprehend much then she has to go back and search some more to draw out facts, etc.

Remember that history "leaks" into so many other subjects, such as music, art, literature and science. She loves them all except generally science. We were talking of creation today and she listed it as history. I told her that yes it is but it's also science as well. Seeing as she doesn't like so much science she never viewed it as such.

History is such a broad subject. Even if you are required to learn certain branches of history, it can be fun and creative. It doesn't have to include dry, boring dates and facts that are trivial.

If this doesn't sound appealing, then my next suggestion would be Mystery of History.

2 comments:

Sally said...

Susan, thanks for stopping by! You are right, of course. All the credit goes to the Lord, and after I posted that and walked away, I thought I should have added, “I can do all things through Christ, which strengtheneth me.” :) Good for you, replacing the washer pump!! When it comes time for me to do that, I will call you.
I'm glad to have your bloggy address. Adding you to my reader!

Sally said...

I'm back now after reading your post, and I want to thank you for suggesting the Uncle Eric books. Alison did What Ever Happened to Penny Candy last year or the year before, and I forgot about his history books. I think you have solved my history curriculum quandary for next year! Yay!