Friday, July 20, 2012

Tips for Getting Up Early

I went through some of the benefits of rising early.  I could sing the praises of this even more! I'll refrain myself, hopefully. :D

Here's things that helps me to get up earlier:

~ Get to bed at a decent hour. This makes all the difference in the world. Try and have your bedtime at the same time every night. Of course, life dictates that it won't always be the same but set it as a goal to keep it within the range of a one hour window. Mine is between 10pm - 11pm.

~ Get fit! This gives you more stamina and you just need less sleep. No doubt, the more you work out, the more energy you have.

~ Eat less food and you'll have more energy. Don't eat after a certain time. Typically for me, I try not to eat after 8pm. Try to have smaller meals throughout the day. No, your evening meal does not have to be a feast! Even if you cut it down between what you would have as a snack and what you normally eat for a big meal, you'll see a difference. This increases the quality of sleep versus quantity.


~Worry less. I know, I know! This is a hard one. By simply reading scripture, praying and/or writing in a journal, this can help. Worrying zaps energy.

~ Enjoy what you do and put some pride in it! Have you ever met a person who did a job of which you thought to be disgusting and you wondered how in the world could they enjoy it? They have learned contentment. Being content in your work helps to get the job done better. Take pride in striving to be the best. Are you the best at keeping the house tidy? Are you the best at.... fill in the blank. No, you don't have to be the best but, boy, does it give you new zeal to wake up in the morning! It's been proven statistically that those that are more successful at whatever, are those who get up earlier. Be passionate about your job and know it's meaningful. Turn your work into a craft.

~ Set clock about 30 minutes ahead of time. For instance, if it's 2pm. I want my clock to read "2:30pm". For some reason, tricking your body into thinking it's later makes it easier to get up. It's crazy, I know, but it works for me.

Those are tips that have helped me!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Words of wisdom! Isn't it funny how we can know what's good for us and go for it with gusto, but then....putter,putter...we quit. Oh well, everyday we are given, we can try again :D

~Heather~

Vicki said...

Hi, Susan, great tips! I had never thought of setting the clock up thirty minutes!

Have a great Sunday.

:)Vicki

ex-heavy sleeper said...

Hi, great tips.

I would add that setting a morning routine will make it easier to start your day.
try to fix yourself with a set of enjoyable and short tasks you'll do right as you wake up.

Another tip is opening the curtains to let the morning light enter the room.