Saturday, December 3, 2005

Roast Soup


Here is a roast soup recipe that I sort of made up some time ago. I have varied it some each time I've made it and it's always turned out well except for the time I scorched it!!! This was origionally made from leftover roast so it's a good way to stretch it over to another meal.

Roast Soup
Take a beef roast and cook it until it falls apart. I do mine in a crockpot or with a pressure cooker. Usually I use about half of a four pound roast. I shredd it to pieces and then throw it in a big pot. Add a quart of tomatoes along with a can of cream of celery soup. Add as much water as you'd like to make it soupy but keep in mind that you will be adding some rice in the end. Sometimes I add mushrooms, onion, tomato/ chicken bouillon seasoning(found in the hispanic foods section), beef bouillon or a little brown gravy mix to thicken it. It's also good made into a gumbo by adding some okra to it. Meanwhile, cook some rice and add it to the pot of soup. You could cook it in the soup as it simmers but I like to cook it separately. It's good served with cornbread but good on it's own as well. We like to add some hot sauce to it at the table. Enjoy!!!

No comments: