Wednesday, February 1, 2006

Laundry Soap Discoveries


I thought I'd tell you two things that I discovered. You may already know this though. First, last week when I went to make laundry soap I had shredded the bar soap and added the water and melted the soap. Well, I was plumb tuckered and just turned off the stove and went to bed. When I got up the next morning the whole thing was gelled solid. So I found out it's the bar soap when dissolved in water that gels. I just reheated and it melted into liquid again. Also, I had some commercial liquid detergent left and last week I just dumped it in my bucket to get rid of the bottle. I stirred it up and a little while later all the gel was gone! Last night I went to make another batch of detergent. I had some of last week's left which had a little of the commercial soap still mixed in. Well, it didn't gel again because of the comm. soap being mixed in. So, I was thinking that if it bothered anyone for it to be gelled they might could keep a bottle of the commercial det. and add just a wee bit and it will deter it from gelling. I don't know how much you need exactly for a batch, maybe just half a cup or even less per batch of homemade detergent?? So, just wanted to share my discoveries over the past week!

No comments: